If you are reading this, then it’s safe to say you know what the Internet is. Defined crudely as a network of interconnected computer devices, the modern Internet has become far more complex than its simple definition. So, we bring you 10 crazy facts about the Internet that will leave you stunned.
1. It takes about 2 billion electrons to produce a single email message. Just imagine the number of electrons required for sending 204 million emails that are sent in just one minute! Lots of zeroes there!
gif via GIPHY
2. Have you ever wondered exactly how old the Internet is? Fret not! There is a website for that. According to http://howoldistheinter.net/, the internet is 10256 days old as of 10 April 2017.
Feeling old yet? gif via GIPHY
3. According to physicist Russel Seitz, if all the electrons responsible for communication are taken together, then their collective weight will be equal to one strawberry!
Wooaahhhh! gif via GIPHY
4. The clock used for internet time was developed by National Institute of Standards and Technology, Colorado that will neither gain nor lose a second in nearly 20 million years!
Time to buy one! gif via GIPHY
5. The inventor of the pop-up ad later admitted he was sorry for creating it and believes its creation started a path that led to the mass surveillance of the internet.
Now you know who to blame for the ads on this site. gif via GIPHY
6. Robert Metcalfe, the inventor of Ethernet, once predicted in 1995 that the internet would collapse in 1996, and he would “eat his words” if it doesn’t. In 1997, he blended a printed copy of that speech with liquid and drank the mixture!
Was it yummy, Robert? gif via GIPHY
7. Take This Lollypop is an interactive horror short film on the dangers of sharing personal information on the Internet. The film accesses your facebook profile and crafts unique film for everyone. You can check out here – http://www.takethislollipop.com/
gif via GIPHY
8. Garfield is the first (and probably, the only one) cartoon cat to be offered free email service. And the domain name is gmail.com which was later acquired by Google.
Kneel before me human! gif via GIPHY
9. The internet is so vast that the all-seeing-eye Google has been able to index only 0.004% of all data on the internet.
Unbelievable! gif via GIPHY
10. There is a group of fourteen people in the world with a ‘key’ to worldwide internet security. They serve as a backup for the internet and are tasked with reconstructing the whole of the internet should something disastrous were to happen to it.